Uniform variations and modding of uniforms

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Uniform variations and modding of uniforms

Post by Gunfreak »

First a question

Is there any variation in uniform, i know the general stuff like green rifles, the nessau regiments ect. But are all french line infantry in the same uniform or are some in greatcoats? Do british light infantry use the stovepipe shako and not tbe belgian shako?

Second question, if not can this be moded in, i know there was talk that variations within uits had to go because of all the different uniform total.

So is the game "full up" or can variations be added?
Last edited by Gunfreak on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Reactions:

Re: Uniform variations and modding of uniforms

Post by Jim »

Tim can be definitive but we have a lot more variation in uniforms than we did with GB. It can be modded to some extent but the details will have to wait until we write the SDK. It's mostly in Tim's head right now.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Xreos1
Reactions:

Post by Xreos1 »

One of the attractions to Napoleonic war gamming is the great variety of uniforms. I have casually looked up uniforms in books and online.

When the release comes it would be nice to know things like maximum uniform types, and parameters that guide adding more uniforms i.e. based on minimum specs, the performance impact. ( something like adding 5 uniform types has no noticeable impact, but adding 20 has major impact. )

I assume the basic math has been done as the game developed as a function of uniforms included.
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

There are a lot of uniform variations in the game. We have a new sprite system that allows overlaying of one sprite on top of another so that means for instance I can add shako covers to French infantry and mix them into non covered shakos in a regiment to give variety.

There are limitations - you can only overlay two spite mods (as we call them). So For British infantry I have overlaid white trousers on standard British infantry for Guards units (there is research that the Guards wore grey on the day but we wanted to distinguish them and its common to show them in white trousers). I then overlay the blue facings for Guards and that's all I can do - I couldn't add light wings to the shoulders now.

Also the overlay must cover the sprite underneath - i.e. if you want to change the hat it must cover all of the hat of the original sprite and must line up perfectly.

We have Green, yellow, blue, black and white facings for British infantry. Light wings can be added, Belgic and Stovepipe shakoes, 95th, KGL and Highlanders.There are Brunswick infantry, Nassaus, Dutch and Belgian infantry in blue jackets.

French in greatcoats, with and without shako covers, legere, voltigeurs, fusiliers, grenadiers Imperial guard, Chasseurs. The horse is separate so we have mixed horse colours in units (albeit I have made them similar shades in units as cavalry did try to have uniform coloured horses) and generals on various horses so they aren't identical.

Prussians have Prussian blue, green and grey jacketed infantry as well as jagers.

Plenty of cavalry types as separating the rider meant we could have more uniforms. Scots greys, Dragoons, Hussars, Light dragoons, Lancers, Uhlans, Guard cavalry, chasseur a cheval.

Artillery is the least varied but you get foot and horse for the British - horse and foot weren't too different for French and Prussian.

Personalities include Wellington, Napoleon, Blucher, Ney, Uxbridge, Hermes, Picton.

The sprites works the same as Gettysburg expect for the overlay. You don't have to use the overlay when adding mods but its an excellent way to save memory and add variety.

As for memory limitations we have kept it as low as possible but obviously the more powerful your machine the more uniforms you can have. It also depends on the OOB you use.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Tim's uniforms are fantastic. My favourite in-game sprite has to be 'The Gods'.

The Gods
Last edited by con20or on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

There are a lot of uniform variations in the game. We have a new sprite system that allows overlaying of one sprite on top of another so that means for instance I can add shako covers to French infantry and mix them into non covered shakos in a regiment to give variety.

There are limitations - you can only overlay two spite mods (as we call them). So For British infantry I have overlaid white trousers on standard British infantry for Guards units (there is research that the Guards wore grey on the day but we wanted to distinguish them and its common to show them in white trousers). I then overlay the blue facings for Guards and that's all I can do - I couldn't add light wings to the shoulders now.

Also the overlay must cover the sprite underneath - i.e. if you want to change the hat it must cover all of the hat of the original sprite and must line up perfectly.

We have Green, yellow, blue, black and white facings for British infantry. Light wings can be added, Belgic and Stovepipe shakoes, 95th, KGL and Highlanders.There are Brunswick infantry, Nassaus, Dutch and Belgian infantry in blue jackets.

French in greatcoats, with and without shako covers, legere, voltigeurs, fusiliers, grenadiers Imperial guard, Chasseurs. The horse is separate so we have mixed horse colours in units (albeit I have made them similar shades in units as cavalry did try to have uniform coloured horses) and generals on various horses so they aren't identical.

Prussians have Prussian blue, green and grey jacketed infantry as well as jagers.

Plenty of cavalry types as separating the rider meant we could have more uniforms. Scots greys, Dragoons, Hussars, Light dragoons, Lancers, Uhlans, Guard cavalry, chasseur a cheval.

Artillery is the least varied but you get foot and horse for the British - horse and foot weren't too different for French and Prussian.

Personalities include Wellington, Napoleon, Blucher, Ney, Uxbridge, Hermes, Picton.

The sprites works the same as Gettysburg expect for the overlay. You don't have to use the overlay when adding mods but its an excellent way to save memory and add variety.

As for memory limitations we have kept it as low as possible but obviously the more powerful your machine the more uniforms you can have. It also depends on the OOB you use.
That is fantastic, i honestly wasn't sure if it doable to so all the facing colors for the British.

One question? Do french have light and grenadier companies?
And do french cav have elite companies? (First company of first squadron)
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

They don't have light or grenadier companies as we didn't have time to program different uniforms for companies - the uniforms are in there and whole battalions/regiments use them rather than companies to add variety. It was one thing we didn't have time to implement I'm afraid.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Nice work on the sprite overlays idea, that really opens up more variation but without loading so many textures.

The French horse artillery wore tall red plumes and hussar pattern dolmans so they were quite distinctive from foot artillery and of course the guard foot and horse artillery wore their famous bearskins and hussar pattern colpack hats respectively making them distinctive from the line artillery.

A good number of the Prussian infantry wore greatcoats because only recently ex-French service regiments had been taken into the Prussian army in their existing uniforms. There was uniform confusion at Charleroi over the Berg Regiment's white coats and after 15th June they were ordered to wear greatcoats so some Prussian coated variations would be appropriate. The ex-Russo-German legion wore their green Russian uniforms!

I did see a picture of the game's middle guard recently and was not impressed by the sprites I must admit. I have concerns that the bearskin is to slender and not "plump" enough and the top red cloth cap is not sloped back enough. It gives them a very curious look, as though they were wearing top hats. The blue overcoat was also of the wrong shape, wrong colour with too full a skirt and a little too short. The effect was like blue a dress! I feel like the middle and old guard will need to be the first sprite sete to be improved by the modders!
Last edited by Saddletank on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Petrus58
Reactions:

Post by Petrus58 »

Saddletank, I am definitely not seeking to split hairs with someone as obviously knowledgeable on this subject as yourself, but if the game represents line horse artillery in campaign dress, then there will be no dolmans and no red plumes, so superficially, they will be quite similar to line foot artillery.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

Saddletank, I am definitely not seeking to split hairs with someone as obviously knowledgeable on this subject as yourself, but if the game represents line horse artillery in campaign dress, then there will be no dolmans and no red plumes, so superficially, they will be quite similar to line foot artillery.
Biggest difference would be all blue uniform(aka blue trousers too) and red epilets..

In my years as a miniature wargamer, i have almost never seen anyone making french horse artillery in dolman.