Gettysburg suggestions

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
BdColonel
Reactions:

Gettysburg suggestions

Post by BdColonel »

Having played TC2 a bit, i think there are some changes that could be made to further improve the gameplay.

1) Flags to be slightly bigger for the commanders (especially for the generals) - (I think someone posted this already).

2) There has to be a better system than the current one for selecting the direction in which a force will be facing. Picking the spot, and then turning the arrow (which is too small anyway to see most of the time) is a drag. Could we have a double click system instead? First click is where the unit or commander goes, second click is in a spot in the general direction in which the unit is to face. Or a click-drag-release system, anything.

3) 2 speed camera movement! Use the shift button, or anyone, so that the movement speed of the camera increases when you hold that button down.

4) Could we have small buttons in the UI, listing the brig. Generals? So you can just select them real fast, not having to scroll through them or (dear me) pick them out from that jungle of moving sprites.

5)Overrunning artillery batteries. The current system is bugged. Having to charge for each cannon in a battery is painful, and makes capturing artillery much more difficult than it should be. Let the unit go after all the cannons in the battery when you give the command to charge, please.

6) As for charging infantry, I like the fact that you cant recall the unit after giving out the order, most unforgiving and very realistic, but could we pick the target? Sometimes the unit goes after an enemy unit I didn't want to charge.

7) Issuing commands through the map would be nice too.
Last edited by BdColonel on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Re:Gettysburg suggestions

Post by JC Edwards »

BdColonel wrote:
Having played TC2 a bit, i think there are some changes that could be made to further improve the gameplay..........

5)Overrunning artillery batteries. The current system is bugged. Having to charge for each cannon in a battery is painful, and makes capturing artillery much more difficult than it should be. Let the unit go after all the cannons in the battery when you give the command to charge, please.

6) As for charging infantry, I like the fact that you cant recall the unit after giving out the order, most unforgiving and very realistic, but could we pick the target? Sometimes the unit goes after an enemy unit I didn't want to charge.
I'm really liking your thinking here Sir. :)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

BdColonel wrote:
Having played TC2 a bit, i think there are some changes that could be made to further improve the gameplay.

1) Flags to be slightly bigger for the commanders (especially for the generals) - (I think someone posted this already).

2) There has to be a better system than the current one for selecting the direction in which a force will be facing. Picking the spot, and then turning the arrow (which is too small anyway to see most of the time) is a drag. Could we have a double click system instead? First click is where the unit or commander goes, second click is in a spot in the general direction in which the unit is to face. Or a click-drag-release system, anything.

3) 2 speed camera movement! Use the shift button, or anyone, so that the movement speed of the camera increases when you hold that button down.

4) Could we have small buttons in the UI, listing the brig. Generals? So you can just select them real fast, not having to scroll through them or (dear me) pick them out from that jungle of moving sprites.

7) Issuing commands through the map would be nice too.
Very very good ideas BdColonel. Especially 3 and 5! I will definitely put in a request for these suggestions. :)
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

IMO it is already too easy to capture arty. Based on discussions I've had, it was not a very common occurance. So I don't know why we would make it easier?

Other ideas make a lot of sense.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

norb wrote:
Based on discussions I've had, it was not a very common occurance. So I don't know why we would make it easier?
I see your point.. To make the game as realistic as possible while taking an enemy position , it should be a major pain in the butt to take artillery. From what I have read, it was close to impossible to take artillery when they had enough ammo and were shooting canister (and whatever else they could find to stuff in the barrel). A lot of times when artillery had to abandon their position, it was because they ran out of ammo, not because they were being overrun by the enemy..

So if it's a tedious task to take artillery in the game, IMO that's more realistic.
Anthropicus
Reactions:

Post by Anthropicus »

BdColonel wrote:
I'd love to see this. The standard interface for directional picking for formations in RTS games is the click-drag-release, so that'd be easy to learn for people.
Last edited by Anthropicus on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Anthropicus wrote:
BdColonel wrote:
I'd love to see this. The standard interface for directional picking for formations in RTS games is the click-drag-release, so that'd be easy to learn for people.
I will put in a request for this. Not sure if it will be implemented or not, but I can request it. I too would love to see this.
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

Little Powell wrote:
Anthropicus wrote:
BdColonel wrote:
I will put in a request for this. Not sure if it will be implemented or not, but I can request it. I too would love to see this.
It should be on the requests list since July 26, 2008.
Last edited by ADukes on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

ADukes wrote:
Little Powell wrote:
Anthropicus wrote:
It should be on the requests list since July 26, 2008.
Ah ok, understood. I'll see if I can find it and add comment to it. Thanks.
BdColonel
Reactions:

Post by BdColonel »

norb wrote:
IMO it is already too easy to capture arty. Based on discussions I've had, it was not a very common occurance. So I don't know why we would make it easier?

Other ideas make a lot of sense.
Thanks for the quick response :)

The issue is that a unit can capture an entire battery, to do it you have to take control of it and press again and again the charge button. This is pretty annoying, (pretty much the only part where the game turns into a click-fest).:unsure:

Capturing an entire battery with an infantry unit would be too easy if it went after every cannon at once ok,

But cavalry has to be able to take out entire batteries. Maybe infantry shouldn't but light cavalry should have no trouble completely overrunning an entire battery in one fell swoop.

oh! 1 more thing, before i forget

8) Could we have artillery loading animations? It's hard telling what your artillery is doing most of the time, as it just sits there. If the little guys were moving about doing the necessary motions while reloading, it would be great.
Last edited by BdColonel on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.