Cavalry

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Zeke
Reactions:

Cavalry

Post by Zeke »

Guys this is really looking great....

my one disappointment with TC2M was the cavalry which was fairly limited in how they fought and how they looked, the rebel cavalry in particular - too regular, but the big omission... no horse holders. I've seen the union cavalry in your posted screen shots - but I havent seen the rebel cavalry (in-game anyway) - any chance of posting a few shots?

I was just wondered what changes have been made with the cavalry in the new game - i.e how they interact with the enemy,the look of them, formations ect?

what do the rest of you guys think? - am I being too harsh about the cavalry in TC2M? http://www.norbsoftware.com/Portal/medi ... 4c6f8b.jpg[/img_size]
Last edited by Zeke on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant
norb
Reactions:

Re:Cavalry

Post by norb »

No you are right on target. The cav needs work, no doubt. I know that JC is a cav guy and I cannot imagine getting through the entire testing process without him writing up a bunch of bugs on how they act :) I am working hard on gameplay now, so we'll make sure that they do what they are supposed to do.
7th Wisconsin
Reactions:

Post by 7th Wisconsin »

am I being too harsh about the cavalry in TC2M?
Lol, no. I think most would agree with you. I'd like to see them represented historically in this game.
Who is John Galt?
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

I have faith in Norb and JC. It is going to be right for sure.

Greg B)
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

The pistola and shotgun cavalry I thought were the best for charging guns, cuz of their short range (60yds.) they stayed focused on what was nearby.

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

norb wrote:
No you are right on target. The cav needs work, no doubt. I know that JC is a cav guy and I cannot imagine getting through the entire testing process without him writing up a bunch of bugs on how they act :) I am working hard on gameplay now, so we'll make sure that they do what they are supposed to do.
Darn it Norb..... Now I'm hitting the roof with exitement - I was containing it before (yes us brits can loose our famous reserve!)LOL

I can't wait to see the results..... Go Buford!!!!

Keep up the good work and thanks for the update
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

No problem.

I really depend on the rest of the team to play the game and tell me how the units "should" behave. How to get them to do that is my problem. If I can make something adjustable, I'll put it in a csv file. But if it's more in depth, then I have to hit the code and come up with a better design. I always try to make things moddable, but that's not always possible. This cav thing is one of them, if the base AI is not right then no manner of tweaking is going to make it better. So I count on the test team to play it and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm certainly not an expert on the time period, which actually makes it easier because then I don't have to argue with them about it :) They can argue amongst themselves and I can just sit back and wait for the winner!
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I don't think you really need to focus on the look of calvary, b/c Buford trained his men to fight as infantry. The problem was he couldn't just let his horses go...he had his hands tied up with the horses, creating a manpower problem. I would like to see the calvary in this game be able to shoot on horseback (Custer on Day 3), a different type of cavalry only mount for a long distance march (1.5 to 2 miles) and other calvary that fights like the calvary at Brandy Station.

In addition, there is way too much charging with the Calvary on AI in TC2M. I would like to see some horse-artillery - the real stuff, with fast limbering and unlimbering time, not very good accuracy and skill, but quick moving - like the calvary.
Hancock the Superb
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

Hancock,

Those are some great ideas!!!!

Greg B)
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Zeke wrote:
.......I can't wait to see the results..... Go Buford!!!!
Buford?!?! Why that's Blasphemy!!!

Norb has been very thoughtful and has been a good listener when it's come to my ranting and raving about my beloved Cavalry and the need for them to be just as tough and sturdy as Infantry......which by this time in the war, both sides had succeeded in creating.

Have no fears my friends.........with the new commands and toolbar features I'm positive all will enjoy the end results. :)

Oh, and a little note to our young Hancock.......young Sir, it is spelt C A V A L R Y.......(from wikipedia) "Calvary or (Golgotha) are the English language/Western Christian names given to the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem’s early 1st century walls, ascribed to Jesus's crucifixion." ;)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'