How to install new maps

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Ham920
Reactions:

How to install new maps

Post by Ham920 »

Hi guys I need some help with installing and using maps. I'm using the JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler. SOW is installed in my Matrix folder and I have a Mods folder and a Map fol;der in my SOW game folder. I note that there is also a Map folder in the Base folder. I downloaded the Grant Overland Campaign Mod and placed it came up under the Modifications tab where I increased its priority to the top of the list. But I don't know how to handle the Cold Harbor and Random Maps I also downloaded. Where do they go - in which folder? Do they also have to be selected via the JonesSoft Mod Enabler? Can one of you young guys give an old guy some help so he can enjoy playing Civil War games in his retirement? Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot-6_25_20174_41_49PM.png
Screenshot-6_25_20174_41_49PM.png (206.36 KiB) Viewed 220 times
RDBoles
Reactions:

Re: How to install new maps

Post by RDBoles »

You might be mixing up TC2M and SOW mods. The Jones mod enabler is used for the TC2M game mods. The SOW mods are put into the Mods folder under Scourge of War Gettysburg or Aniversary game. I don't know if you can use the Jones Mod enabler for SOW.
Move Forward
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

In addition to that, this is the Waterloo forum.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yeah no need to use any fancy mod enablers for SOWGB or SOWWL. Just unzip all of the Map files to the Mods folder, enable in game, enjoy.
Ham920
Reactions:

Post by Ham920 »

Thanks for you replies. Sorry about being in the Waterloo forum instead of the Gettysburg forum.
OK, no fancy mod enablers. Got it. I’m working with the Cold Harbor Map files. There are 5 files –
Cold Harbor.bmp, Cold Harbor csv, Cold Harbor ini, Cold Harbor IsI, and
Cold Harbor_ MM.dds.
Do all these individual files all just go into the Mod folder? I tried that and but they still didn’t appear
in the Sandbox under maps. The OOBs are there but not in the map selection area.

How do I use, for example, the Cold Harbor OOBs with the Cold Harbor maps?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks for you replies. Sorry about being in the Waterloo forum instead of the Gettysburg forum.
OK, no fancy mod enablers. Got it. I’m working with the Cold Harbor Map files. There are 5 files –
Cold Harbor.bmp, Cold Harbor csv, Cold Harbor ini, Cold Harbor IsI, and
Cold Harbor_ MM.dds.
Do all these individual files all just go into the Mod folder? I tried that and but they still didn’t appear
in the Sandbox under maps. The OOBs are there but not in the map selection area.

How do I use, for example, the Cold Harbor OOBs with the Cold Harbor maps?
Those five files go in the Maps folder, along with the Packages folder if applicable. The OOB goes in the OOBs folder. The Maps and OOBs folders go in the mod folder you're using that is located in the Mods folder. Probably best to make your own mod folder so you can name it what you prefer, like Cold Harbor Maps and OOBs. Hope this made sense. :unsure: I's really a simple process, don't overthink it.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Ham920
Reactions:

Post by Ham920 »

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I have a Mods folder in the SOW- Gettysburg folder. In the Mods folder I have placed various scenarios. There is also a OOBG folder and a Map folder in the Mods folder. (See the attachments.) I note there is a Base folder in the SOW Game folder that contains Graphic, Maps Music and sound folders. I have NOT put anything in here, but should they also contain the Cold Harbor Maps files I’m trying to use? Please note there is also an OOB folder and a scenarios folder in the games folder. In the Mods folder there are map and OOB folders. When I go into the sandbox the OOS are there, but not the Cold Harbor maps. What have I screwed up? I want to play the OOBs on the Cold Harbor maps and then also download other maps compatible with Grant’s Overland Campaign. Thanks for your help. I DO appreciate it.
Attachments
Basefoldert-6_27_20175_20_01PM.png
Basefoldert-6_27_20175_20_01PM.png (119.75 KiB) Viewed 220 times
ColdHarborMaps-6_27_20175_26_15PM.png
ColdHarborMaps-6_27_20175_26_15PM.png (218.18 KiB) Viewed 220 times
ModFolder6_27_20175_16_14PM.png
ModFolder6_27_20175_16_14PM.png (175.39 KiB) Viewed 220 times
SOWGameFolder-6_27_20175_12_18PM.png
SOWGameFolder-6_27_20175_12_18PM.png (200.44 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Ham920
Reactions:

Post by Ham920 »

The instructions for the Grant’s Overland Campaign say the following -
MPORTANT - Please ensure that you disable other mods before activating this mod - likewise deactivate this mod when using others as clashes may occur.
Does this mean I should empty the Mod folder from all other maps?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

The instructions for the Grant’s Overland Campaign say the following -
MPORTANT - Please ensure that you disable other mods before activating this mod - likewise deactivate this mod when using others as clashes may occur.
Does this mean I should empty the Mod folder from all other maps?
No. To deactivate mods you uncheck the yellow box in Modifications.

Regarding your previous post, don't touch the base folder. You're still not understanding the hierarchy of mods, they go in the Mods folder and contain the Maps, OOBs, etc. folders. Download Chickamauga and examine it's structure. It has all the folders you mentioned, Maps, OOBs, Scenarios and more.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

From the Desktop:

Create a Folder and Name it "Cold Harbor" - Without the Quotes

Create a Folder and Name it "Maps" - Without the Quotes

Place the Five Map Files that you mentioned above into the Folder named "Maps"

If there is a "Packages" Folder with the Map - Place that whole Folder into the Maps Folder.

Your Maps - Folder should now have Six Entries in it! Five without the Packages Folder.

Now "Drag" the Maps Folder into the "Cold Harbor" Folder

Now "Drag" the "Cold Harbor" Folder into the SOWGB \ Mods - Folder.

It is that Simple!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!