Gettysburg Tour

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
norb
Reactions:

Re:Gettysburg Tour

Post by norb »

OK, let's get some great feedback here. Cliffy & IronBMike, let's get a honest evaluation of your likes and dislikes of the game. I'm more focused on multiplayer, but any feedback would really be appreciated. Favorite stuff, least favorite stuff (I'm sure the speed of the computer he was using is going to be a negative for IronBMike). How was the AI, mostly smart, mostly ok, mostly stupid? The new toolbar? You guys are the first ones outside of the team to even see this thing running, so any help you can give us is very valued.

You should have seen IronBMike and his friend working together to destroy Matt :) They were placing their men together, working closely to shut off any exits. It was very cool, but would be much more difficult if they were forced to communicate with couriers.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

norb wrote:
OK, let's get some great feedback here. Cliffy & IronBMike, let's get a honest evaluation of your likes and dislikes of the game. I'm more focused on multiplayer, but any feedback would really be appreciated. Favorite stuff, least favorite stuff (I'm sure the speed of the computer he was using is going to be a negative for IronBMike). How was the AI, mostly smart, mostly ok, mostly stupid? The new toolbar? You guys are the first ones outside of the team to even see this thing running, so any help you can give us is very valued.

You should have seen IronBMike and his friend working together to destroy Matt :) They were placing their men together, working closely to shut off any exits. It was very cool, but would be much more difficult if they were forced to communicate with couriers.
From an outsider's perspective, and and all reviews would be GREAT! Were/are there any new screen shots available? What changes/improvements were noticable from TC2M?

Anything that will whet the appetites of those of us who can only rely upon this great forum!

Thanks

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

norb wrote:

Well, I'll just go ahead and list some things here:

1) I didn't like the new toolbar. It was harder to find stuff at a glance than the old one and didn't have a Civil War "feel" to it either. I much prefer the old toolbar, especially the fatigue and morale bars. Actually everything about the old toolbar was better, except for all the nice new buttons we have on the right side.

2) The map screen should close by hitting M again rather than having to click the X. It sounds trivial, but it can save a lot of time and effort. I've thought this about the previous games as well.

3) The AI seemed fine, but since I spent most of my time in multiplayer I didn't really get a chance to work with the AI. Plus I was just playing scenarios, and not Open Plays. But I would hope that the AI is not as aggressive this time around and will actually sit on objective sites and play defense.

4) The new unit pathing where a regiment will no longer walk through another regiment is a nice feature because of the realism aspect, but pathing it automatically to find a way around may cause problems, because if a regiment can't walk through another regiment you may prefer it to not move at all. Perhaps the path it chooses will take it way out of position or run it into enemy troops. I don't know of any solutions for this, except to make it so that units simply physically won't walk through each other no matter how hard you try, thus forcing you to find a manual way around or move the original unit out of the way. But it's not really a big deal, since you can always just hit halt if it takes a path you don't like.

5) The new "roll of the dice" feature on every morale drop is interesting. It certainly adds another element of gameplay that has to be counted, but it seems like attacks could fall apart really easily if one regiment starts hurting. But then again, the same could apply for the defenders. The bottom line is that it takes more out of the gamers control and puts it to chance, which may be realistic because generals couldn't always control what their troops did, but sometimes realism is sacrificed for gameplay. However, I don't have an issue with it because it would take hours and hours of playing to really find all the small details about it and how to manage it. Overall I'm happy with it, plus if it's unbalanced a patch could always take care of it.

6) Multiplayer was fun, and I can't wait for the courier system. Really not too much more needs to be said about that, I don't have any negatives.

7) Time compression, I feel, should always be allowed to be increased in game regardless of whether or not there is fighting.

So to sum up, my three main things I would like to see different are:
- The toolbar
- AI not being aggressive so often
- Time compression
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
privatewilley
Reactions:

Post by privatewilley »

Ok Norb and Jack,

The multiplayer worked very well. It was hard to distinguish the human player from the AI players but the Norb team is working on fixing that.I loved the new tool bars even though I need to get more familiar with them. The new left and right oblique unit commands are a welcome addition as well as the lay prone command. I would still like to someday see a volley command. I know that there's some debate on how often volley fire was used in the Civil War. I'm no expert but I believe(correct me if I'm wrong)that volleys were fired in initial contact and then the troops would be ordered to fire at will. A good example of this is the attack of July 1 Iverson's Confederate brigade's attack on Baxters Union brigade.(We covered this in our tour.) Iverson's men advanced(unknowingly)against Baxters men, who were hiding behind a stone wall. Baxter's men waited until Iverson was within 80 yards and unleashed a volley. The volley was devastating. I think that a volley command would work very well with the prone command to setup a nice ambush.

This looks like it's going to be the ultimate Gettysburg game. I plan on buying 2 copies like I did with TCM2

Dave
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

I think I should specify that what I disliked about the toolbar was the presentation and aesthetics, not the new commands. I love the new commands.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

IronBMike wrote:
7) Time compression, I feel, should always be allowed to be increased in game regardless of whether or not there is fighting.
Thanks for the great feedback. I know that I promised this to you, so I'm going to do it right now :)
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

cliffy wrote:
Ok Norb and Jack,

The multiplayer worked very well. It was hard to distinguish the human player from the AI players but the Norb team is working on fixing that.I loved the new tool bars even though I need to get more familiar with them. The new left and right oblique unit commands are a welcome addition as well as the lay prone command. I would still like to someday see a volley command. I know that there's some debate on how often volley fire was used in the Civil War. I'm no expert but I believe(correct me if I'm wrong)that volleys were fired in initial contact and then the troops would be ordered to fire at will. A good example of this is the attack of July 1 Iverson's Confederate brigade's attack on Baxters Union brigade.(We covered this in our tour.) Iverson's men advanced(unknowingly)against Baxters men, who were hiding behind a stone wall. Baxter's men waited until Iverson was within 80 yards and unleashed a volley. The volley was devastating. I think that a volley command would work very well with the prone command to setup a nice ambush.

This looks like it's going to be the ultimate Gettysburg game. I plan on buying 2 copies like I did with TCM2

Dave
Thanks Dave. If we can't get volley in for the first release, you can be assured that it will follow soon in a patch. We realize how important this feature is, so it's near the top of our list.
privatewilley
Reactions:

Post by privatewilley »

Norb, Sounds good! Volley fire will be a great addition to an awesome game.

Dave
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

norb wrote:

If we can't get volley in for the first release, you can be assured that it will follow soon in a patch. We realize how important this feature is, so it's near the top of our list.

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Alright Norb,

Excellent news, it will add another dimension to the game !!!!

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

cliffy wrote:
Ok Norb and Jack,

Dave
From my understanding, Dave, you are correct regarding volley fire.

Out of curiosity, has the rate of artillery fire, limbering, and unlimbering been upgraded from TC2M?

Thanks

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade